Friday, August 06, 2004

Iron Mountain

Keeping with my current exercise and health craze, I hiked to the top of Iron Mountain this morning. This was the first time I have hiked it alone, and without someone else to keep pace with, I walked too fast at the beginning and was very tired by the time I got to the peak. From the top you have a good view of the area burned by the big fire last October. In fact, I saw a fire burning off in the distance. I used the telescope at the top to look at the fire and saw aircraft dropping water on it. Why didn't they do that last October? I wasn't worried about the fire reaching me, since all the brush was still burnt. It looked like a volcano exploded - if you have ever been to Mount St. Helens you would know what I mean. It took me one hour to walk up and one hour to walk down. I was the last person off the mountain - the sane people will hike it in the evening when the air is cooler. It is now time to rest my legs and get ready for my next local adventure.

No comments: