Monday, February 28, 2011

Mt. Woodson Snow Hike


Six days after my last hike up Mt. Woodson I was once again hiking up the trail to the summit. This time the snow level was supposed to be down to 2000 feet, so I was hoping to actually see some snow on the trail. Around the halfway point, I started to see some snow, or frozen hail, in shady spots along the trail. But as I got higher, there was more "snow", even where it was exposed to the sun.


There were young people hiking the mountain faster than me, and I let them pass as I took some photos. Soon, they were throwing snowballs at each other.

As I got higher, the snow was on the trail, and I actually was glad I had my hiking boots and poles. Once I hit the pavement, there was a shady spot where the ice was slippery and I had to walk slow.



Once I made it to the top, where there were pine trees with melting snow dripping on me, I once again, like last week, headed to the east side where there were great views of the snow on the mountains to the east, like Cuyamaca and Luguna. I took a short movie that covered about 270 degrees of visibility.



Even though there was lots of snow at lower elevations, I believe that the snow level was lower in 2008, as can be seen in this link taken from Iron Mountain in Feb. 2008 - by me!

As I hiked back down from the summit, I felt really good about life in general. I was relaxed and not worried about anything - just enjoying the moment. I started the day at 8:30 AM, started hiking at 10:30, and got home at 2:30 PM. The hike took more or the entire day, but it was well worth it.

No comments: