Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bike RIde to Waterfall in Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve


I was extra ambitious this morning. I woke up just before 8 A.M. I took my time drinking coffee and eating breakfast because I saw it was 48 degrees out side. At 9:30 I went outside and was glad I was ready for a bike ride because it felt like 80 degrees. My plan was to ride to a waterfall in the Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve. I heard about this waterfall from a friend and knew about where it was. Thanks to my bike ride two week ago, I realized I could bike there from my house. So a three mile ride to the beginning of the dirt path that took me under highway 15. Then five miles along a smooth but dusty trail that was crowded with walkers, runners, bikers and horse riders. Once at the waterfall, I stopped and took a few cell-phone camera photos. There were about 20 people at this spot, and yes, there was water in the 'river', even though it has not rained really since April!

I then headed back home. The ride there was mostly downhill, since it is towards the coast, so the ride back up uphill. I pushed myself near the end, as in I rode my bike up hills without shifting into easy gears. The whole trip took less than two hours and totaled 17 miles. The temperature and weather was perfect. I like these rides that are both relaxing and provide a good cardio work-out.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I've never once been in there even though I've driven by it many times. Looks like a good bike/hike place.