Thursday, November 08, 2007

9600 kbps

That is the download speed my Internet connection was clocked at recently by this site. 9600 kilobits per second, or 9.6 Megabits per second (Mbps). Time Warner just upped the speed at no extra cost to 10 Mbps. It wasn't that long ago they changed it from 4 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I feel this is to compete with the ever-expanding fiber optic connections being offered by competitors, such as AT&T. 10 Mbps = 1.2 Megabytes/second, if my math is correct. I remember in the dial-up AOL days, it took me 30 minutes to download a 1 MB video file. How times have changed. The upload speed, from the same site listed above, was measured at 960 kbps, which is faster than before, but still relatively slow. I plan to test the new upload speed with the arrival of the new "Keith Cam"! Yes, that is correct. I will soon buy a new camera and the Keith Cam will be back up and even better, with the ability to control the camera from any computer in the world that is connected to the Internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beats me. 7914 down, 562 up. I guess cox has some catching up to do.

OB

Anonymous said...

Wait, 8962 and 563 at a different server.

OB